Part-Time Temporary Position, Summer (Slow Season)
Commitment: 3 Months
Approximate Dates: 1 August – 31 October
Note: The company will apply for a work permit for you to legally work on the island; your commitment for the entire period is mandatory. Please read the ENTIRE post and only apply if you meet the requirements and hold the proper certification(s). The job can be compared to a ‘work-away’ position, as free accommodation and utilities will be provided in exchange for a part-time work.
• Teach yoga classes primarily in the areas of Hatha, Vinyasa, Restorative, SUP Yoga, and Meditation
• Develop new yoga classes and routines
• Complete registration and take payments from yoga classes and climbing tours
• Tidy outdoor yoga studio before and after all classes: raking leaves, cleaning furniture, mopping floor, etc.
• Wash and vacuum the company vehicle at least once a week and before climbing tours
• Maintain organization and cleanliness of the Rock Iguana apartment, which includes employees’ personal living space, the company office, and climbing gear storage
• Promote Rock Iguana on island at local hotels, vacation rentals, offices, and restaurants
• Complete administrative work for both yoga and rock climbing, including making yoga class schedule, answering the company phone, responding to emails, creating social media posts, writing blog posts, stocking merchandise, etc.
Total weekly hours (estimated): 20-25 hours
• A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience in Vinyasa, Hatha, Restorative and SUP Yoga and a minimum of 4 years of personal yoga practice
• Have completed a RYT 200 Hour Teacher Training (preferably RYT 500)
• Current First Aid and CPR Certification
• Valid Driver’s License
• Be able to live and work in hot and humid conditions (the apartment has AC but the yoga studio is outdoors.)
• Strong sense of self
• Comfortable with your own company (as it is a very small and remote island)
• Outstanding organizational skills
• Willing to take initiative
• Effective time management
• Solid interpersonal skills & ability to coach students in a positive manner
• Able to be a good salesperson
Bonus Attributes (not required but sought after):
• Some experience in web development or marketing
• Love of nature and the sea
• Experience in rock climbing
• Gardening skills
• Experience living in hot climates
• Ability to work another job remotely to provide additional income for yourself
• Free accommodation on a beautiful seafront condo with swimming pool
(Private bedroom – sharing living area and bathroom)
• Utilities (stipend for electricity and water bill capped at CI $325 per month)
• 40% gross commission on all yoga classes taught
• Commission as Assistant Rock Climbing Guide (if applicable)
• Personal use of company vehicle
The job can be compared to a ‘work-away’ position, as free accommodation and utilities will be provided in exchange for a part-time work. The apartment is a beautiful oceanfront condo with a swimming pool. We operate the business from the same apartment; you are mainly living by yourself except when one of the owners is on island for work.
Any payment via commissions should be seen as a bonus and should not be depended upon; it is possible that business will be very slow during this period. That being said, the amount of time the successful candidate puts into marketing will directly correlate to more yoga participants in classes, and thus, more commission.
The candidate needs to be able to live in very hot and humid temperatures! Someone who is looking for a summer holiday to escape the winter would not fare well. Previous experience living in hot climates is helpful.
The summer months, typically August – October here, encompass the island’s slow season and hurricane season. During this time, our Head Yoga Teacher will be going on vacation and you will be in charge of making your own yoga schedule, teaching all yoga classes, and maintaining the outdoor area of the yoga studio.
During this period, our climbing operations will be minimal, as our only available guide will be in Grand Cayman. He will fly to Cayman Brac for climbing tours, as needed. However, if this candidate has rock climbing experience and guiding experience, there would be potential for this person to take groups on our more basic tours when our primary guide is not available. Commission will be paid for all climbing tours guided. Experience in guiding rock climbing would be a great bonus for us, but is not a requirement for the position.
The position would include a 2-3 week training period with our Head Yoga Teacher and Lead Climbing Guide (if applicable). After this period the successful candidate will be working primarily independently. Therefore, it is important that this person is self-driven and able to work with little supervision. Your direct supervisor would be located in Grand Cayman, as mentioned above.
Rock Iguana Ltd. is an adventure tourism company and rock climbing school formed by a group of close friends and family who love the island life, diving, climbing, and yoga. We are based on the beautifully remote island of Cayman Brac. Read more about our company: www.climb.ky.
The Yogi Wall is the first and only yoga studio on the island. The studio began to offer yoga classes in August 2018 and officially opened in December 2018. We currently have regular members who are Cayman Brac residents and our goal is to create a real Yogi Community.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Rock Iguana Team