Shik Shack Backpackers is a community based rustic backpackers/eco-lodge. Our goal is to be a cultural tourism destinateion with a difference – a place tourists can come to for a meaningful and conscious experience of cultural tourism in post-apartheid South Africa. South African communities are vibrant and the Tsonga culture rich – this is something we want to bring to the impoverished rural village of Sigagule. Self-responsibility, honesty, integrity, transparency and care for each other are foundational values. Care and respect for yourself, our animals, nature and our environment, each other and the shared project we are a part of.
Shik Shack is based at and forms part of Nourish Eco Village – ( www.nourish.org.za) which focuses on connecting communities to conservation through education, agriculture and tourism. Your time at Shik Shack would overlap with duties and time at Nourish — where we have a permaculture garden, Moringa orchard, seedling nursery, and little chicken farm.
We want to integrate yoga and Zen infused mindfullness – on several levels. 1) with weekly classes for the children that come to the Nourish aftercare center from the local village. 2) for the volunteers and backpackers staying at Shik Shack Eco Lodge (DAILY SUNRISE/SUNSET CLASSES) and 3) working with our local Ubuntu Africa Yoga trainees who are people from the local community wanting to qualify in yoga and bring it in with an African flavour, and story. Our ( and your goal ) is sustainable and hoslisic living, mindfulness action, and lots of fun.
We’re looking for the right person to become our newest live-in team member.
You can do no great things – only small things with great love. ~ Mother Theresa.
• Actively assisting with on-site customer service and reception
• Responsible of the logistics of the programs/events (transportation arrangements, check-ins, checkouts, tours booking etc.)
• Managing our Ubuntu Yoga Shop & the Ubuntu Yoga Lapa ( Providing a childrens lesson once a week and DAILY Sunrise &/or Sunset classes, perhaps additional classes if needed) Work with the Ubuntu Yoga trainees to support their YTT development.
• Actively supporting the ground operations (opening and closing Shik Shack Shebeen, ensuring the dining tables, sitting area and the bar are decorated accordingly etc. Setting up and cleaning up after the daily yoga classes, ensuring mats are clean etc)
• Supporting the finance operations (inventories, reports etc.)
• Draft and prepare monthly blog posts and newsletters
• Supporting the communication via social media, external sites (e.g. bookyogaretreats.com, Airbnb.com)
• Tracking and updating the booking system and calendar.
• Managing and updating our profiles on the 3rd party booking websites
• Supporting Shik Shack marketing efforts & assisting in Fair Trade Tourism membership workshops with the team. ( including working to implement eco innovations and off grid innovations and sustainable/recycled programs into the Shik Shack environment. )
*Assist in setting up, marketing and managing Permaculture Retreats, Yoga Retreats, Conscious living retreats as a way to drive tourism to the Shik Shack Backpackers, but also to anchor Shik Shack as a place for retreats, workshops and special events.
*Assist in organising the Spirit of UBUNTU Festival which brings together live music, yoga, meditation, star gazing, colour runs, traditional music and traditional dancing, and so much more.
• Work experience in hospitality/tourism, finance, marketing and/or sales activities, preferably in a hotel/hospitality setting.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; fluent in English.
• A positive attitude, integrity, maturity and excellent communication skills – via digital as well as in person – Must love people!
• Strong sense of ownership and urgency, organizational and time management skills.
• A spirit of service, the ability to step up and perform whatever task is necessary for the good of the whole.
• Works well under pressure; problem-solver, able to multi task, and think quickly, often with changing priorities.
• Very good administrative and marketing with a passion for driving sales
• Yoga Teacher Training ( at least 200HRS )
• WordPress and MailChimp proficiency, preferred
• Proactive; sees what’s needed and promptly takes action.
• Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and all other relevant computer programs
Duration: Minimum 1 year
Starting Date: Open ( ideally January 2020
WORK HOURS AND BENEFITS
6 days per week, approximately 7 hours per day, and will be open to work additional hours to support special events or when the need arises. We are flexible with time off when needed. Once every 3 months additional days ( eg 5 days) will be given for travelling and time off.
OUR BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDES
• Modest ‘salary’ or financial contribution. ( this is a stipend which will cover food sundries during your time here basically. This is not a salary that justifies the ‘job’ but more a paid internship/ or a paid volunteer program where we cover your costs) Food allowance/contribution +- ZAR 3000 per month. When we have volunteers you can eat meals at the lodge Free of Charge.
• Accommodation including free WIFI and laundry (water and electricity included) so no costs other than food costs.
• Paid time off 10 days for every 6-month work
• Optional more time off in the low season (unpaid)
• Opportunity for self-growth: An awesome healthy lifestyle with lots of growth opportunity – a chance to get to know South Africa like never before, a chance to make a difference to a small grassroots cultural tourism initiative and help it succeed, a chance to learn Tsonga, make friends, meet the special children at the Nourish eco village and just make a difference. You give – but you receive so much more.
Please send us resume/CV and the answers to the questions below to: email@example.com
Below are a few questions that will help us decide if we are the right for each other. Please be thoughtful with your replies.
Remember our motivation is to make a big positive change in people’s lives. This can mean really hard work at times – lots of responsibilities and commitments so please only apply if you really want to dedicate yourself to helping make these changes.
1. Why do you think you will be right for this position?
2. Do you have any admin / management experience you’d like to highlight and please give valid examples of what you have learned.
3. Any other experience you think might be relevant to the role you’d like to note, please explain why you consider it beneficial for this role.
4. How long you can commit to the position (dates, availability)
5. The role is quite diverse, are you OK with changes in priorities, and showing up for whatever is needed at the moment?
6. What would you do to maintain a positive attitude in the eco–tourism center with volunteers and guests at all times?
7. Are you used to live in shared spaces and would you be comfortable sharing a kitchen and bathroom with someone?
9. What kind of yoga / meditation experience have you had?
10. Have you spent much time volunteering before or working with children? Is this part of being based at Nourish Eco Village that will interest you?
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.